This recipe is probably my favourite summer dessert yet. It’s so light, creamy, and delicious. The surprise ingredient – TOFU! It adds the creamy texture as well as binds everything to make it cook perfectly! Hope you enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 cups dates
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup ground oats
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 block medium firm tofu, drained and squeezed
- 2 lemons, juice and zest (1/3 cup juice)
- 1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Garnish: raspberries or raspberry jam
- Soak cashews in water overnight, or in boiling water for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tray with coconut oil or vegan butter.
- In food processor, blitz dates, almonds, oats, 1 tsp vanilla, salt, and water together until it forms a ball.
- Divide this date mixture into the muffin tins, about 2 tbsp in each and pressing down to form the edges.
- In blender, add soaked cashews, tofu, lemon juice and zest, maple syrup, and remaining vanilla. Blend on high until completely smooth (could take a couple minutes).
- Ensure lemon flavour is prevalent, if not add more.
- Place 1/4 cup of mixture into muffin tins, or until it reaches 1cm below the top.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-27 minutes. Tops will be slightly golden with cracks in them.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing.