I am so in love with fresh basil in the summer and try to incorporate it into all of my meals. Today, being a Friday, was necessary to make a pizza! I also wanted to take a step up from the vegan store-bought shredded mozzarella, and make my own! This cheese is sooo good. The texture is perfectly stringy, light, and melts perfectly. Cashews should be soaked for 24 hours, or in hot water for 1 hour. The miso paste adds a nice savoury component, which can be left out but I highly recommend using it. This is also just a basic recipe and any veggies or toppings can be added for your own preference. Enjoy! 🙂
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 1.5 cups hot water
- 4 tbsp tapioca starch (makes cheese thick and stringy)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp miso paste (optional but encouraged)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Store-bought pizza dough
- 2 cups store-bought marinara sauce
- 3 tbsp sliced sundried tomatoes
- Fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Prepare mozzarella: In a blender, add soaked cashews, hot water, tapioca starch, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, miso paste, olive oil, and salt. Blend on high until cashews are fully blended, about 1 minute.
2. Pour into saucepan and heat over medium heat constantly stirring. Mixture will get clumpy and then become a thick sauce. Keep stirring for another 3 minutes until it becomes very thick. Pour into bowl to cool and set aside.
3. Kneed dough to desired shape and thickness. Place it on baking sheet. Add tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes, and dollops of cashew mozzarella. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes, until cheese gets slightly golden and dough looks crispy. (I put my oven on broil for 2 minutes)
4. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil. Drizzle with olive oil (optional).