This recipe is perfect for people just transitioning to vegan/vegetarian, or trying to get someone to eat a vegan meal!! The texture is so similar to chicken you won’t be able to tell the difference. Fried in oil definitely gives it a better taste, however a healthier option would be to bake in the oven! Give yourself 2-3 days for this recipe as the tofu needs time to fully thaw and fully freeze twice. Enjoy
Ingredients (makes 10-12 pieces):
- 1 block medium-firm tofu
- 1 cube chicken style bullion dissolved in 1 cup water (or 1 cup vegetable broth)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Place tofu in its package in the freezer until fully frozen (6-8 hours). Thaw completely in the fridge (could take 12-20 hours). Repeat freezing and thawing. Second thaw can be left on the counter for 4 hours maximum, then the rest in the fridge (6 hours) until fully thawed.
- Drain the tofu from the package carefully pressing and squeezing all of the liquid. This can be done between paper towel or in a tofu press.
- Break tofu into bite size pieces.
- Dissolve bullion cube in warm water. Let tofu pieces sit in broth for 30 seconds, then gently squeeze remaining liquid out and place back on plate.
- Prepare three bowls: first one with 1 cup flour, second one with 1 cup soy milk, and the third with the remaining flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Place tofu in first flour bowl, then soy milk bowl, followed by second flour bowl. Repeat until all the tofu is covered.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. Once heated, place breaded tofu pieces in pan and cook each side until golden (4-5 minutes each side).
- Place on plate with paper towel.
- Serve with favourite sauce.