Summer is near, and the perfect meal to celebrate are these colourful stuffed peppers. Roasted peppers always remind me of summer barbecues as they are a staple! They’re rich in flavour and super easy to prepare. These peppers are packed with nutrients from the protein in lentils, antioxidants in the spices, and so on.. Enjoy!!
Ingredients: (2 servings)
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 cup dry rice (or quinoa)
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cut top off of peppers and deseed, reserving the top. Rub oil over peppers and place in oven for 15 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add rice to saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to boil, then simmer until cooked. Add lentils to saucepan then turn off heat and keep covered.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and tomato and sauté until tender. Add lime juice and all spices.
- Add rice mixture to skillet and combine fully. Add rice mixture to peppers until full, ensuring you press the mixture in fully.
- Place peppers back in oven for 10 minutes until fully tender. Serve with pepper top placed over mixture.
- Garnish with sliced avocado or cilantro.