Hey guys!! I wrote a little blurb for Toronto Vegetarian Association about seasonal ingredients. For March I decided to choose asparagus as it’s an abundant vegetable that begins its season at the end of February! Eating seasonally and locally is very important to support your community and reduce emissions for transportation of food. I’ve also attached a recipe for a delicious lemon asparagus hummus!
(Makes 1.5 cups)
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 (400mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp asparagus cooking water
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp + 1tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat a saucepan filled with salted water to high heat until boiling. Prepare ice bath.
- Add asparagus to boiling water and cook 3-4 minutes, until tender but crunchy. Immediately submerge in ice bath once done.
- Reserve 1 tbsp of cooking water.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, cooking water, cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Process until combined while slowly adding 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Season to taste with lemon juice and salt. Garnish with olive oil and red pepper flakes.
- Serve with raw veggies or whole wheat pita.