One of those meals that you have no idea what you’re making until your done. I was planning on a breakfast sandwich with the portobello as the “sausage” but I decided I didn’t want the bread and wanted more toppings. This was the end product and I’m so happy with it!! So many flavours and textures but they worked together so well. Hope you enjoy!!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 large portobello caps
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (a few shakes)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (divided)
- 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced
- 2 off the vine tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 bunch basil, chiffonade
- Salt and pepper
- Garnish: arugula, beet hummus
- Remove stem and clean portobello caps.
- Combine cider vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, olive oil, and liquid smoke. Place portobello caps in marinade and let sit for minimum 30 mins.
- While marinating, add 1tbsp vegan butter to skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and caramelize for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan
- Add the rest of the vegan butter to same pan on medium-high heat and add portobello caps. Pour marinade over while cooking. Cook 5-7 minutes each side.
- While cooking, add onions back to pan with tomatoes and basil and sauté. Season to taste.
- Serve portobello cap top side down and place onion mixture on top with fresh tomato, basil, and desired garnish.