Oh my goodness. I have finally, at last found the most perfect healthy brownie that tastes just like a regular one. It has the perfect denseness and the perfect amount of gooey-ness.
The plus side of this is that there is no wheat, no dairy, no eggs, but full of flavour. It’s packed full of healthy fats from the almonds and almond milk, protein and fibre from the oat flour, flax seed, and almonds. There is absolutely nothing to complain about this brownie.
I used gluten-free rolled oats and grounded them myself to make the oat flour, as well as the almond and flax meal. You can use pre-ground mixtures if you would like. I also put a frosting on mine, but you can opt out of that as well if you would like to cut down on the sugar. Please try and let me know what you think!!
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips, or dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I used earth balance)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (more or less)
- 1 tbsp raw honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the almond milk in a pot until just boiling. Add ground flax, vanilla, sugar, chocolate chips, and mix. Simmer until melted.
- In a separate bowl, combine oat flour, almond meal, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Once combined, slowly stir in almond milk mixture until fully combined with no lumps. Fold in chocolate chips. The mixture should be kind of thick.
- Pour batter into baking pan and spread evenly around. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Brownies are done when you insert toothpick 1″ from the side of the pan and it comes out clean.
- When brownies are cooking, prepare frosting. Combine butter, cocoa powder, honey, vanilla, and icing sugar. Add milk tbsp by tbsp until it is fully combined.
- Once brownies are done, let cool for 20 minutes before icing.