Fall is finally here!!
I started the first day of fall right with this risotto. I have never made risotto before and know I’ll be learning it in the future at school, but I went ahead and tried it on my own first and it was amazing. I couldn’t find a recipe that really appealed to me so I went ahead and made my own. Everything in this recipe is homemade including the vegetable stock and the herb butter, but if you want to just use store bought, that’s completely okay. I made the vegetable stock and herb butter at school so I figured I would use it up in this recipe. I’ll also link the other recipe’s within this one if you chose to make them. However, lot’s of the flavouring comes from these two ingredients so I’m not to sure how to alter the flavouring if you chose to use store bought stock and butter. Please take a look at the butter and stock recipe’s to see the spices used in those to add to the risotto. Please try and let me know what you think!! Enjoy 🙂
- 1 cup barley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 1/4 cup herb butter (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In medium pot, simmer vegetable stock and water.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add barley to toast.
- Once toasted, add onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini, thyme and broccoli. Sautée until tender.
- Add vegetable stock slowly. Add 1 latel at a time until it has all been absorbed. Cover and simmer until ready.
- Add lemon juice and herb butter to make creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Top with parmesan cheese.